Monday, May 4, 2009

Globe Trekker

"Having a very limited exposure to public space and public activity I gained a thirst for ‘what it might be’ in the big cities of the world. Watching these specials on PBS of the cities of Europe I questioned my response to specific agendas within: why are
people there?"

Reading this in Professor's City Semiotic reading, i immediately knew what show he was speaking of, Globe Trekker. I also watched this show because i had a thirst for the outside world. I grew up in the rural coast of North Carolina, in a neighborhood devoid of other kids. TV was my education and my escape, and Globe Trekker was one of my shows on my late-night insomniac tv repertoire. I would see all of these beautiful cities, and even third-world countries appear to be more interesting than the place i felt trapped in. As i've gotten older and more wisened, i feel as though i am still trapped, though i escaped the barren south; trapped in responsibility and obligations, rather than just location. I miss when a TV show could make me forget where i was.

No comments:

Post a Comment